Mrs Wm SUTTON – no dates
That is Edith Catherine MCCORMACK she was married to SEABOURN then a WOODS (Mary Jane WOODS is the daughter from that union) then she moves with her parents to Marshall Co. AL and marries again to William SUTTON.
William F. MCCORMACK b. 2-16-1811 d. 8-4-1883 was her fatherSallie/Sarah (NELSON) MCCORMACK b.9-26-1809 d. 11-24-1880 was her mother.
William F. MCCORMACK married again before he died to a Eliza Jane EDWARDS on11-14-1881 Marshall Co. AL.
Edith Catherine MCCORMACK Married: 1. E.L.(Dick) SEABOURN about 1851-1852 Bradley Co TN (2 kids Emily C. andSarah Ellen) 2. John N. WOODS 4-4-1869 Hamilton Co.TN (1 kid Mary Jane buried Vaught Cem) 3. William J. SUTTON 7-31-1880 Marshall Co. AL
Sarah Ellen MCCORMACK married Jerome P. HAYES b. 1861 d. 10-8-1896 (2 kidsAnnie Lou (my greataunt) and Edith Ethel (my grandmother).
Obit on Jerome P. HAYES burried at Vaught (John D. HAYES is his brother)
MARSHALL CO DEMOCRAT NEWSPAPEROCT. 8 1896
MORE KILLING IN MARSHALL
Under the present system of allowing crime to go unpunished the destruction of human life is increasing. Murder is punished less often than theft. Two more killings occurred in this county during the past week.Jerome Hayes, a farmer living near Hillians Store was shot dead in his bed Saturday night under peculiar circumstances. his wife ran to a neighbor’s after midnight in a half crazed condition of mind, stating that two men had come at 10 o’clock to stay all night and after the family and strangers had retired she was awakened by the shooting of her husband after which she claimed that the two men started to take her to the woods, when she escaped in the darkness. The shooting was done with Hayes’ own gun. A very mysterious case it is.
Wilson H. (Harold) Hayes (brother of John D. and Jerome P.) b. 10-1-1855 d.3-18-1932wife Virginia is buried at Beulah Cem in Marshall Co. Al b. 9-20-1861 d.11-25-1935.
Twin Hayes both girls b. 2-20-1900 d. 2-21-1900 children of Wilson andVirginia HayesLular T. Hayes b. 3-5-1887 d. 6-13-1889 child of Wilson and Virginia HayesJohn D. Hayes 1-10-1862 d.9-1-1916 wifeEaster Anna Hayes b. Feb 1862 died after 1920Downing Johnson b. about 1863 d 3-31-1884obit
June 5, 1884
JOHNSON, DOWNING DIED MAY 31 1884
BY SHOOTING HIMSELF WITH A SHOTGUN
21 YR OLD SON OF J. N. JOHNSON
William Johnson b. 1845 d. ? married 12-23-1865 Hamilton Co TN; wife Sarah Rebecca McCormack b. 1843 d. ?
The original Vaught graves
- 1. Rufus Childress B. 11-4-1884 d. 5-3-1896
- 2. Robert M. Childress b. 4-13-1846 d. 1-30-1900
- 3. Sallie Foster
- 4. Snodgrass infant Twin daughters of Nancy and Benjamin Snodgrass M.J. b. 9-23-1848 d. 10-4-1848 (lived 11 days) M. A. b. 9-23-1848 d. 10-12-1848 (lived 19 days)
- 5. Nancy Snodgrass b. 4-7-1820 d. 12-3-1848
- 6. Leon Vaught d. 8-20-1840 aged 47yrs 4 mo 6 days ( ? b.4-14-1793)
- 7. Hiram Vaught b. 7-3-1833 d. 4-23-1897 owner of this land and part ownerof Stevenson newspaper.
- 8. S.J. (Sarah Jane Childress) Vaught b. 11-5-1836 d. 1-28-1914
- 9. Wm Vaught b. 10-31-1881 d. 3-20-1889 (nephew to W. M. Vaught)
- 10. W.M. Vaught Jr. b. 3-15-1858 d. 10-4-1881
- 11. Infant Cane (father Charlie Cane Fyffe AL)
- 12. Nannie (Ann Phillips) Vaught b. 9-8-1862 d. 8-7-1896 (wife of James W.Vaught)
- 13. Infant Cane (father Charlie Cane Fyffe AL)
submitted by: Sherion C. Bowers